About Me

My photo
Washington, United States
loves: you win if you guessed "pets" and "museums". Also books, art history, travel, British punk, Korean kimchi, bindis, martinis, and other things TBD. I will always make it very clear if a post is sponsored in any way. Drop me a line at thepetmuseum AT gmail.com !

Friday, February 09, 2007

a grimm hedgehog

Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm -- who died in 1863 and 1859 respectively, in their seventies -- are the source of what we call the Grimm fairytales, such as Little Red Riding Hood, the Bremen Town Musicians, and Cinderella. However, they didn't write them as such: that is, they aren't the people who made them up. They collected the folktales of their German countrymen and published them, saving for posterity that part of their culture's oral tradition.

Do you think you have heard every Grimm tale? I thought I had. But there is a gem I had never read about a peasant couple whose son is half hedgehog. It's pretty grim in spots, pun intended, as many of the original tales are: there is child abandonment and death by spiking. But they all live happily ever after. Of course they do. Now have a look at

Hans-My-Hedgehog

No comments: