About Me

My photo
Washington, United States
loves: you win if you guessed "pets" and "museums". Also books, art history, travel, British punk, Korean kimchi, bindis, martinis, and other things TBD. I will always make it very clear if a post is sponsored in any way. Drop me a line at thepetmuseum AT gmail.com !

Wednesday, March 07, 2007

we will, we will pet you

Delilah, Delilah
Oh my, oh my, oh my, you're irresistible

Freddie Mercury (born Farrokh Bulsara, of Persian parentage) wrote "Delilah" for his cat, and you can find the song on Queen's 1991 Innuendo album. By all accounts, Freddie loved his cats dearly and drew great solace from them, even calling home to London while on tour so he could talk to them. Here's a list of them from a fanpage. Here's more photos. So imagine "Bohemian Rhapsody" and "Fat Bottomed Girls" being written around a cat much as I type this wearing a suspiciously feline-shaped wrist corsage.

Delilah was his favorite.
You make me smile when I'm just about to cry
You bring me hope you make me laugh - and I like it
You get away with murder so innocent
But when you throw a moody you're all claws and you bite
That's all right

Freddie died soon after Innuendo was released. He knew he hadn't long to live when making the album, and made sure one of the last things we ever had from him was a song celebrating a creature he held supremely dear. Full lyrics here.

No comments: