About Me

My photo
Washington, United States
loves: you win if you guessed "pets" and "museums". Also books, art history, travel, British punk, Korean kimchi, bindis, martinis, and other things TBD. I will always make it very clear if a post is sponsored in any way. Drop me a line at thepetmuseum AT gmail.com !

Monday, September 24, 2007

soviet kitten

Lev Alexandrovich Bruni (1894, Novgorod -1948, Moscow) wasa Russian artist who also spent a year's study in France in 1912. This wasn't unusual then. The Russian and French cultures had elements in common, and some borrowed French words still make up the Russian vocabulary.

In 1915-16 he became familiar with the Russian avant-garde circle that included Tatlin. Though he tried his hand at the color and space constructions many of this circle were composing, I really feel he was at his truest when he worked with immediate, bold color and expression.

Take a look at 1920's A Girl with Kittens and see if you don't agree. Look at how she holds the squirmy little guys; note the look on the momcat's face, knowing the human won't hurt them, but better keep an eye out anyway.

Not convinced? Try his Woman with a Hound, same year.

2 comments:

Bec Tastic said...

Hey there- This is Becca.

The hotmail address you gave me got returned to sender: "mailbox does not exist."

You should drop a line to chrysslyn at gmail dot com so that I have your correct email in my inbox.

Hope you are having a good drive home right now.

-Becca

curator said...

I DID. I'm home now. Check your mailbox : )