About Me

My photo
Washington, United States
loves: you win if you guessed "pets" and "museums". Also books, art history, travel, British punk, Korean kimchi, bindis, martinis, and other things TBD. I will always make it very clear if a post is sponsored in any way. Drop me a line at thepetmuseum AT gmail.com !

Monday, March 31, 2008

dogs of elisabeth frink

Dame Elisabeth Frink (British, 1930-1993) worked in bronze, and returned over and over to the male form, the human head, and animals. Particularly horses and dogs. I stumbled upon her through learning of this statue from 1963 honoring the Blind Beggar of Bethnal Green and his dog. The attenuated, powerful forms with their pitted surfaces fascinated me. They always do - there was a fair amount of that going on in sculpture at this time and in some form for a couple of decades thereafter.


Upon looking her up I realized she had indeed done a number of animals, such as this dog from 1980, this Red Dog lithograph, or this horse lying down upon the grounds of Chatsworth.


A bibliography and essay on Frink is here.

No comments: