About Me

My photo
Washington, United States
loves: you win if you guessed "pets" and "museums". Also books, art history, travel, British punk, Korean kimchi, bindis, martinis, and other things TBD. I will always make it very clear if a post is sponsored in any way. Drop me a line at thepetmuseum AT gmail.com !

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

"i am a cat."

"As yet I have no name. I've no idea where I was born. . ."

So begins the comic social masterpiece I am a Cat, by Natsume Soseki. Published in installations during 1905-06, it's a send-up of the dynamic cultural and social changes of Meiji-era Japan. At this time many Western ways, fashions and practices were coming into Japanese society thick and fast, with varying degrees of graceful adaptation according to various observers. Wikipedia overview here; a look at a Google Books limited preview here.

No comments: