About Me

My photo
Washington, United States
loves: you win if you guessed "pets" and "museums". Also books, art history, travel, British punk, Korean kimchi, bindis, martinis, and other things TBD. I will always make it very clear if a post is sponsored in any way. Drop me a line at thepetmuseum AT gmail.com !

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

mouse rescue

How many of you saw the Disney cartoon "The Rescuers"?
Did you know that was based on a series of books written by the dry, wry British novelist Margery Sharp? Yes, the elegant white mouse Miss Bianca came from the same pen that wrote many brisk novels of postwar England.
You should read the Miss Bianca novels. I did, at least the first several anyway, but then I grew up reading all kinds of funky Brit lit pretty much by accident (and a childhood spent partially in the "colonies"). Here is the list of Rescuers tales:

The Rescuers (1959)
Miss Bianca (1962)
The Turret (1963) (This might have been my favorite)
Miss Bianca in the Salt Mines (1966)
Miss Bianca in the Orient (1970)
Miss Bianca in the Antarctic (1971)
Miss Bianca and the Bridesmaid (1972)
Bernard the Brave (1977)
Bernard into Battle (1978)

Unfortunately Disney seems to have bogarted almost everything about them, so I can't find any illuminating links about their original glory. Hie thee to the library.

And here is a lovely site on Margery Sharp.

No comments: