About Me

My photo
Washington, United States
loves: you win if you guessed "pets" and "museums". Also books, art history, travel, British punk, Korean kimchi, bindis, martinis, and other things TBD. I will always make it very clear if a post is sponsored in any way. Drop me a line at thepetmuseum AT gmail.com !

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

in chips of stone

I've just realized I seem to be on a dog kick for several days running here. But really, I can't help myself when I stumble upon things to show you.

For example, today I've found someone who has lovingly assorted many photos of ancient Roman mosaics featuring dogs - with a live dog thrown in.

Many are from Pompeii and Sicily, but you will see some from the outreaches of the Empire: Tunisia, Turkey, Alexandria. There's some from their new homes in the great Western museum collections: the British Museum, the Louvre.

The level of craft and detail can approach a brush's subtlety, and the spirit of a dog in action or at rest is easy to see and feel. Try this post at the Mosaic Art Source blog and see if you don't agree.

No comments: