About Me

My photo
Washington, United States
loves: you win if you guessed "pets" and "museums". Also books, art history, travel, British punk, Korean kimchi, bindis, martinis, and other things TBD. I will always make it very clear if a post is sponsored in any way. Drop me a line at thepetmuseum AT gmail.com !

Thursday, December 17, 2009

dogs: they can track anything, even whales

(**Don't forget to go to the Dec. 12 post and leave a comment for a shot at the Holiday Giveaway on Dec 22!)

Here's something my friend Brit told me of a couple days ago:

Dogs can track whales. How? Through whales' poop.

Why? Oddly enough, not so they can roll in it. I am sure they'd try, but it's more important that the poop be used and evaluated by whale researchers to learn why there are only 350 (less by now? the story she sent was from 2006) North Atlantic right whales left. Researchers can tell what they are eating, if they are sick, why they might be sick, and all sorts of other things. The dogs' noses guide the research boats to the poop, which otherwise sinks too quickly to get much. (Which reminds me of some hazing talk my dad used to repeat from the Navy, but I am not going there.)

It's an adventuresome story and a great way to learn a little about the concerns of marine biology. There's a photo gallery too, so be sure and see it. Story is here.

No comments: