About Me

My photo
Washington, United States
loves: you win if you guessed "pets" and "museums". Also books, art history, travel, British punk, Korean kimchi, bindis, martinis, and other things TBD. I will always make it very clear if a post is sponsored in any way. Drop me a line at thepetmuseum AT gmail.com !

Monday, May 17, 2010

say it 3 times fast: rossetti's wombat

public domain
William Bell Scott drew this portrait of Dante Gabriel Rossetti's tubby pet wombat in 1871, on a piece of the stationary for 16 Cheyne Walk. Rossetti had been living at that address since his wife Lizzie's death, along with the poet Swinburne, a couple of other intimates here and there, and a menagerie (of which I've posted before). I can't tell you how delighted I am to have found this drawing, which lives at the Tate.

2 comments:

A few Good Cats said...

A wombat, eh? Looks like a groundhog to us, but we live in Pennsylvania, where Punxatawny Phil sees his shadow every few years.

curator said...

I guess they do look a lot alike! I know Rossetti was always very excited about having a wombat.