About Me

My photo
Washington, United States
loves: you win if you guessed "pets" and "museums". Also books, art history, travel, British punk, Korean kimchi, bindis, martinis, and other things TBD. I will always make it very clear if a post is sponsored in any way. Drop me a line at thepetmuseum AT gmail.com !

Thursday, December 30, 2010

a jolly dog for decoration

attribution: By MOs810 (Own work) via Wikimedia Commons

Everything outside is white because we had an ice storm overnight. That's why this image attracts me this morning. I thought I'd find some artwork of dogs in the snow, but instead I found this cute fellow sculpted in white stone bas-relief, and he cheered me up. He's found at a building on Wyspianskiego Street, Poznan, in Poland. I wish I knew more about this relief: is it late 19th-c Arts and Crafts? (Could be, with those wacky acanthus-type leaves.) Is it a modern fake-medieval? Possible. Or earlier? But what really matters is how this chubby, stumpy little fellow seems so active and three-dimensional in his lush little rectangle.
Poznan sounds like a fun place, by the way.

2 comments:

Elaine Pritchard said...

Yikes! That looks like a lion to me. Whatever it is I wouldn't want to run into it on one of my walks.

curator said...

Oh, you know, I did wonder if it was a lion cub. But it seems so stubby and harmless! Maybe an odd corgi?