About Me

My photo
Washington, United States
loves: you win if you guessed "pets" and "museums". Also books, art history, travel, British punk, Korean kimchi, bindis, martinis, and other things TBD. I will always make it very clear if a post is sponsored in any way. Drop me a line at thepetmuseum AT gmail.com !

Monday, December 27, 2010

on catnip



The girls got two new catnip toys for Chrismas, putting me in mind of this verse and accompanying illustration from Oliver Herford's Rubaiyat of a Persian Kitten (C. Scribner's Sons, 1904)...

'Twas that reviving Herb,
that Spicy Weed,
The Cat-Nip. Tho' tis good in
times of need,
Ah, feed upon it lightly, for
who knows
To what unlovely antics it may lead.

5 comments:

Katnip Lounge said...

Unlovely? No way anything a kitty does could be unlovely!
Undignified...now that's a separate matter. heh heh

Quill and Greyson said...

What a great etching.

Elaine Pritchard said...

Speaking as a greyhound....I think cats are quite annoying enough without them getting all hyper on catnip... but I know the Lady of the House's mum has an elderly cat called Mickey who still loves to play with catnip toys (they keep him away from me though - just in case!)

parlance said...

Cute poem and lovely picture. Happy New Year!

Cate said...

Love the illustration! Milly looks very much like that when rolling around in catnip :))