About Me

My photo
Washington, United States
loves: you win if you guessed "pets" and "museums". Also books, art history, travel, British punk, Korean kimchi, bindis, martinis, and other things TBD. I will always make it very clear if a post is sponsored in any way. Drop me a line at thepetmuseum AT gmail.com !

Monday, July 11, 2011

cat on a midcentury chair

copyright and by kindest permission of the artist

Midcentury: clean, simple design for the shiny progressive future (in the 1950's and 60's, that is). The streamlined comfort of a bold, busy new era. So: Perfect for cats, who are nothing if not streamlined comfort personified. And that's why I had to bring you this "Cat on a midcentury chair" by the Australian artist olive dear: when I saw this I laughed aloud with the sheer excellence of the pairing.
When I asked her, olive dear wrote: "I've had the pleasure of sharing my life with two lovely cats, and the cat in this painting actually looks a lot like a combination of the two - the big eyes of one, and the colouring and pose of the other." And if you go on over to olivedear.com and look around, you just might find the other cat rocking more atomic age seating.

No comments: