About Me

My photo
Washington, United States
loves: you win if you guessed "pets" and "museums". Also books, art history, travel, British punk, Korean kimchi, bindis, martinis, and other things TBD. I will always make it very clear if a post is sponsored in any way. Drop me a line at thepetmuseum AT gmail.com !

Saturday, January 28, 2012

baudelaire's "the cat" x3

"Viens, mon beau chat, sur mon coeur amoureux," reads the first line of cat-adoring Charles Baudelaire's poem Le Chat (The Cat).  So how many ways may these French words be translated?  Here's three:


Come, superb cat, to my amorous heart


Come, my fine cat, against my loving heart


My beautiful cat, come onto my heart full of love


Isn't that fascinating?  And in any guise, it's a most intimate and experimental piece on all the beauties offered by a cat.  I am thrilled to have found this page at fleursdumal.org, where you may read all three translations as well as the original.  I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

2 comments:

Katnip Lounge said...

tres bien!

curator said...

I am glad you enjoyed it! Isn't it marvelous how words can be sculpted.