About Me

My photo
Washington, United States
loves: you win if you guessed "pets" and "museums". Also books, art history, travel, British punk, Korean kimchi, bindis, martinis, and other things TBD. I will always make it very clear if a post is sponsored in any way. Drop me a line at thepetmuseum AT gmail.com !

Friday, February 10, 2012

the docks: cat as atmosphere

copyright by and with kindest permission of sam wolfe connelly/WolfesClothing, 2012
This post segues perfectly from the last - at about a century's remove.  This powerful work is by Sam Wolfe Connelly.  Called "The Docks," it's a perfect modern Symbolist piece:  what do you think you see here?  How does it make you feel?  For myself, I see my curious, wary and brave Veronica on another of her night time cat adventures.  Who knows where she goes, or what she does, and we've tried to talk her into staying safe inside, but she wants to go out into the dark.  Then a little later, she wants back in, and she always seems triumphant and pleased with herself.  Why?
"I hope that everyone can take what they can from it," Connelly said when I asked him about this piece, which I love, "and see what stories they can interpret from the drawing!"  Symbolism in action.  Sam Wolfe Connelly is an artist to watch.

No comments: