About Me

My photo
Washington, United States
loves: you win if you guessed "pets" and "museums". Also books, art history, travel, British punk, Korean kimchi, bindis, martinis, and other things TBD. I will always make it very clear if a post is sponsored in any way. Drop me a line at thepetmuseum AT gmail.com !

Sunday, May 27, 2012

cats and their kids in the london slums

Today's post comes to you courtesy of my good blogfriend John of It's All Good. Wait till you see what's he's found.  In an online article featuring "The Children of London's Spitalfields Slums in Photographs 100 Years Ago," he spotted two photos that speak with particular eloquence:
a young barefoot girl holds her kitty close with a smile;
a boy holds up his hand in a commanding gesture, with his equally-to-be-reckoned-with cat at his side
These images struck me to the heart.  I think you'll find the same.  And here's the link to the main story for good measure.


2 comments:

parlance said...

What a find! I looked at them all. I wonder if those boys became cannon fodder for the First World War?

I think they would have posed for longer than we would have to do these days, and that maybe explains the rather tight grip the little girl has on her cat. By the look of the back legs the cat might have been ready to leap away.

ROCCO LOTEMPIO said...

Love London. And love the cats! Sorry it's been so long between visits, but I've been a busy boy, between my interviews and novel...it's a cat's life :)