About Me

My photo
Washington, United States
loves: you win if you guessed "pets" and "museums". Also books, art history, travel, British punk, Korean kimchi, bindis, martinis, and other things TBD. I will always make it very clear if a post is sponsored in any way. Drop me a line at thepetmuseum AT gmail.com !

Saturday, June 02, 2012

a cat looks into the light (bulb), c. 1910

thanks wikimedia commons {{PD-US}}
Wouldn't it be lovely if my light bulb choice could make me look that slim and stylish.  This is a poster of around 1910 by the artist and industrial designer Geza Farago for the Tungsram light bulb/vacuum tube company.  Though acquired in 1990 by GE, Tungsram still does business in Hungary. They had the good sense to include this fine image in their company website.
I couldn't dig up much on Farago, who was born and died in Bucharest (1877-1928) with periods of study in Paris and areas outside Bucharest.  Here's what I could find, with a link included to some of his other works.  He was a pupil of Mucha, one of the iconic names in Art Nouveau. I really prefer this version of the style:  simpler forms, vivid color.  And a great cat.

2 comments:

getthelidoff said...

Nice - thank you for sharing! @dogwhisps

parlance said...

I reckon if I'd seen that in 1910, I'd have shot off to buy one of these new-fangled light bulbs.