About Me

My photo
Washington, United States
loves: you win if you guessed "pets" and "museums". Also books, art history, travel, British punk, Korean kimchi, bindis, martinis, and other things TBD. I will always make it very clear if a post is sponsored in any way. Drop me a line at thepetmuseum AT gmail.com !

Monday, October 08, 2012

a dapper cat in a very fine hat

artwork copyright and by kindest permission of the artist
It's a 20"x30" poster of a "Cat in a Hat," poised and urbane against birds, fish, and happy cat faces.  This utterly delightful image is by New York City graphic designer and illustrator Andreas Ekberg.  When I asked him about his images, he wrote to say that his work starts as sketchbook doodles or in his iPad, adding "I started to draw and these are the kinds of things that come out."  And you know what, I think this cat is a perfect manifestation of some of the sheer joy you can find in NYC.  Seriously:  here's kind of a Gilded Age kitty gent waving in welcome against a wall full of innocent treats and smiles, full of energy and dreams of good things.  Yes, it's true New York is a place to be reckoned with, but I have also eaten ice cream on the steps of the Metropolitan, and waved at the dogs on the street and the cats in the windows, filled with my own energy and dreams.  (My dreams of the perfect future always have pets in them.)  This image made me remember those days with a happiness I didn't expect.  And now I wish you all birds and fish and good things.  Meanwhile go have a look at Andreas' website and Etsy shop.

No comments: