About Me

My photo
Washington, United States
loves: you win if you guessed "pets" and "museums". Also books, art history, travel, British punk, Korean kimchi, bindis, martinis, and other things TBD. I will always make it very clear if a post is sponsored in any way. Drop me a line at thepetmuseum AT gmail.com !

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

with love to winnie's memory

public domain by kindest permission of photographer henry townshend
One of the Museum's oldest and best blogfriends, Winnie the greyhound, passed on yesterday.  I can only imagine how her family feels, and send my love.  This morning, thinking of her, I thought I'd find a lovely work of greyhound art to post in her honor.  Thanks to the generosity of a photographer, I have this: the sweetest couple of playing dogs, carved in marble in the 2nd century BC and now at the Hall of Animals at the Vatican's Museo Pio-Clementino.  It goes to show yet again that people have loved and appreciated their dogs for many, many centuries, and that very love makes those very creatures immortal.

1 comment:

Elaine Pritchard said...

Thank you so much for this blog post. I have been so touched by the support and love being shown for Winnie and her family.

It helps to know she was special to other people and not just her family who miss her so much.

Many thanks