About Me

My photo
Washington, United States
loves: you win if you guessed "pets" and "museums". Also books, art history, travel, British punk, Korean kimchi, bindis, martinis, and other things TBD. I will always make it very clear if a post is sponsored in any way. Drop me a line at thepetmuseum AT gmail.com !

Thursday, January 31, 2013

valadon paints as a cat studies

thanks wikipaintings.org {public domain}
I find I have a soft spot for Suzanne Valadon's cats.  I like how filled with color and personality they are without too much realism, the way you enjoy looking over at your own cat without noticing every hair.  This is "Study of a Cat," from 1918, which I'm sure attracted me because it reminds me so of Elizabeth. The tight-wrapped tail, the whitish bit on the chin, the pursed whiskers...yes, all that.  Now I will show you a little but interesting detail.  See the two stripes cutting through the white of the neck? Do you think they're greyish brown all the way across?  They aren't! The back half is a dull pink.

No comments: