About Me

My photo
Washington, United States
loves: you win if you guessed "pets" and "museums". Also books, art history, travel, British punk, Korean kimchi, bindis, martinis, and other things TBD. I will always make it very clear if a post is sponsored in any way. Drop me a line at thepetmuseum AT gmail.com !

Thursday, February 28, 2013

a warm fire, a clean paw

thanks wikimedia commons {PD:US}
Are those wolves relaxing by that fireside while a hardworking human tugs off his boots?  To our eyes, perhaps - but I think it's a cat (licking paw) and a dog friend (curly tail). This is a small margin illustration from a French psalter dating circa 1260.  Despite all my efforts, I can't dig up much if anything more (it seems to be Cistercian, and from Besancon).  But the strange yet friendly portrayals of the companion animals, half wild in appearance and full of personality, were too good not to share.

1 comment:

Bernadette said...

I fully agree! That is clearly a cat and a dog, and a faithful human taking off his boots. Looks like a scene of domestic bliss.