About Me

My photo
Washington, United States
loves: you win if you guessed "pets" and "museums". Also books, art history, travel, British punk, Korean kimchi, bindis, martinis, and other things TBD. I will always make it very clear if a post is sponsored in any way. Drop me a line at thepetmuseum AT gmail.com !

Monday, April 08, 2013

a rhyme for st jerome's cat

thanks wikimedia commons {PD}

(Image: Saint Jerome, miniature by the Meister des MarĂ©chal de Boucicaut, 1410-1415) Yesterday I posted on Saint Jerome's pet lion.  Some variants of the Jerome legends have him owning a regular cat as well, and there's an English nursery rhyme of unknown provenance that muses ...

St. Jerome in his study kept a great big cat,
it's always in his pictures, with its feet upon the mat.
Did he give it milk to drink, in a little dish?
When it came to Fridays, did he give it fish?
If I lost my little cat, I'd be sad without it;
I should ask St. Jerome what to do about it.
I should ask St. Jerome, just because of that,
for he's the only saint I know who kept a kitty cat.


No comments: