About Me

My photo
Washington, United States
loves: you win if you guessed "pets" and "museums". Also books, art history, travel, British punk, Korean kimchi, bindis, martinis, and other things TBD. I will always make it very clear if a post is sponsored in any way. Drop me a line at thepetmuseum AT gmail.com !

Monday, August 19, 2013

a rubens sketch: there's a dog in there somewhere

thanks wikipaintings.org. public domain
You'd think I'd show you more by Rubens (Sir Peter Paul Rubens, that is, the Baroque painter; Flemish, 1577-1640), but this drawing c. 1616 is a sterling example of why I don't.  Do I appreciate Rubens?  Very much so.  Can I see that dog for all that lush girlhood?  Barely. I had to restrain myself from drawing an arrow and writing "DOG".  Also, don't you find it interesting that he has such a confident hand with feminine portrayals, but that dog looks like a wizened little rat?

No comments: