About Me

My photo
Washington, United States
loves: you win if you guessed "pets" and "museums". Also books, art history, travel, British punk, Korean kimchi, bindis, martinis, and other things TBD. I will always make it very clear if a post is sponsored in any way. Drop me a line at thepetmuseum AT gmail.com !

Wednesday, September 04, 2013

pin the cat on the curator

Design for jewellery, by the firm of John Brogden, about 1860. Courtesy of the V&A . Public domain
This jaunty kitty is a design for a stick brooch, dating from around 1860 and sketched out by a craftsman at the John Brogden jewelry firm in London. If it had ever been made, the cat was meant to be fashioned in gold while the pin was gold with colored enamel.  The Brogden firm did a lot of ancient and Renaissance-style work, so I find this a lively exception to their usual staid Victorian output.  And, as usual, I want it.  I wonder, was it ever produced?

No comments: