About Me

My photo
Washington, United States
loves: you win if you guessed "pets" and "museums". Also books, art history, travel, British punk, Korean kimchi, bindis, martinis, and other things TBD. I will always make it very clear if a post is sponsored in any way. Drop me a line at thepetmuseum AT gmail.com !

Saturday, January 18, 2014

dog-enhanced elegance

thanks the-athenaeum.org. PD
Italian painter Antonio Ambrogio Alciati (1878-1929) began as a sentimental painter and evolved into an impressionistic portraitist, as you see here in Elegant Woman With her Dog (1915).  I was first struck by the delicious plum color of her coat.  What really grabbed me and led me to share this with you was the way she's folding the dog against her, and the wary, melancholy look on both their faces.                  

1 comment:

parlance said...

I see what you mean about the similar expressions on their faces. Simply gorgeous painting.