About Me

My photo
Washington, United States
loves: you win if you guessed "pets" and "museums". Also books, art history, travel, British punk, Korean kimchi, bindis, martinis, and other things TBD. I will always make it very clear if a post is sponsored in any way. Drop me a line at thepetmuseum AT gmail.com !

Friday, February 28, 2014

eat it (why isn't this a dog?)

E Eat It Digital ID: 1701849. New York Public Library
Courtesy of The New York Public Library.  www.nypl.org
From legendary children's illustrator Kate Greenaway (1846-1901), the "E" page of her alphabet book A Apple Pie.  Greenaway was still one of THE kids' book illustrators when I was a tiny child, and in those days it was still possible to dress little kids up in the sort of not-exactly-1800's gowns and caps you see in a lot of her work.  (My mother has photos to prove this, I think.)
While I don't really think of cats as big pie fans, I have to chuckle at yet another feline meal supervisor - this one much more plush and comfy than the last kitty we saw.  Greenaway's world always was domestic and cheerful.

No comments: