About Me

My photo
Washington, United States
loves: you win if you guessed "pets" and "museums". Also books, art history, travel, British punk, Korean kimchi, bindis, martinis, and other things TBD. I will always make it very clear if a post is sponsored in any way. Drop me a line at thepetmuseum AT gmail.com !

Saturday, April 26, 2014

love me, love my dog, 1500's

In which the Tudor poet George Turberville (1530-1600) shows an erstwhile girlfriend the door for her treatment of his dog.  Longtime Museum friends know I've a very soft spot for Tudor and Elizabethan poetry because of its uniquely plainspoken elegance.  This is another example of that quality: gets right to the point, gracefully.  And with that, let's kiss off the mean lady, who deserves a beast (the mastiff line, fifth down) more than tender affections:

TO HIS LOVE: THAT CONTROLLED
HIS DOG FOR FAWNING ON HER

INDEED, my dear, you wrong my dog in this
And shew yourself to be of crabbéd kind ;
That will not let my fawning whelp to kiss
You first, that fain would shew his master’s mind:
A mastiff were more fit for such an one
That cannot let her lover’s dog alone.

He in his kind for me did seem to sue,
That erst did stand so highly in your grace,
His master’s mind the witty spaniel knew,
And thought his wonted mistress was in place:
But now at last, good faith, I plainly see
That dogs, more wise than women, friendly be.

Wherefore since you so cruelly ill-treat
My whelp, not forcing of his fawning cheer,
You shew yourself with pride to be replete,
And to your friend your nature doth appear:
The proverb old is verified in you,—
“ Love me and love my dog,” and so adieu.

Both I and he that silly beast sustain,
For loving well and bearing faithful hearts,
Dispiteous checks and rigorous disdain,
Where both hath well deserved for our parts
For friendship I, for offered service he-
And yet thou neither lov'st the dog nor me.

-- Found in Parson, J. The Friendly Dog: an Anthology, London: K. Paul, Trench, Trübner & Co., 1912. pp. 1-2.

No comments: