About Me

My photo
Washington, United States
loves: you win if you guessed "pets" and "museums". Also books, art history, travel, British punk, Korean kimchi, bindis, martinis, and other things TBD. I will always make it very clear if a post is sponsored in any way. Drop me a line at thepetmuseum AT gmail.com !

Saturday, May 03, 2014

a most beloved cat, 17th c

found:  www.pinterest.com/pin/80220437083218625/.  believed PD in good faith
I would give a lot to know more of the facts behind this 1750 painting by Giovanni Reder in the Museo di Roma.  Its title is "Portrait of the Cat Armellino, with a Sonnet by Bertazzi," and as you may imagine the sonnet is all about how much the cat is loved.  Armellino was the pet of poet Alessandra Forteguerra; Bertazzi was an abbot, but from what I can tell, his sonnet speaks of love and kisses.  Such a story just beyond my grasp!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I cannot read Italian, and I have been unable to find a translation of this sonnet. I wouldd be grateful if someone would post a translation,