About Me

My photo
Washington, United States
loves: you win if you guessed "pets" and "museums". Also books, art history, travel, British punk, Korean kimchi, bindis, martinis, and other things TBD. I will always make it very clear if a post is sponsored in any way. Drop me a line at thepetmuseum AT gmail.com !

Saturday, May 10, 2014

two capital cats

thanks wikimedia commons user JJ55 for the worldwide PD status on your photo
Here's a couple of triumphant cats with their prey on a stone capital from Millstatt Abbey in Austria.  The abbey was founded in 1070, but built during the 1100's.  It's a treasure of the Romanesque style, which means the building has a massive yet graceful feel and relief sculpture plays an important role in illustrating ideas and stories for the faithful.  I'm fond of Romanesque's human scale and its evolving pictorial faithfulness - you can see that in these cats, with their funny big heads and proud smiles.  You can't miss them, and that's part of the point of Romanesque style.  What I would like to know is what they were meant to portray:  the danger of women's wiles as they hunt saintly monk-folk? So far that's my most educated guess.
Want to see Millstatt Abbey's website?  It's here and you can translate it from German.
(Just for fun, here's my favorite Romanesque church.)

No comments: