About Me

My photo
Washington, United States
loves: you win if you guessed "pets" and "museums". Also books, art history, travel, British punk, Korean kimchi, bindis, martinis, and other things TBD. I will always make it very clear if a post is sponsored in any way. Drop me a line at thepetmuseum AT gmail.com !

Friday, May 23, 2014

white watches white

thanks wikimedia commons (PD-old-art-1923)
In one spot of light, a cat gazes with grave longing at two fluttering toys.  This is "White Cat and Brimstone Butterflies," an oil on panel by Arthur Heyer (German, 1872-1931) from the turn of the 20th century.
I had an odd thought.  Most of his dog and cat paintings are polished, conventionally pleasant animal genre pieces.  This is more roughly set (is that a curtain or a tree trunk back there?) and the look on this fellow's face reminds me of Heyer's self portrait.

No comments: