About Me

My photo
Washington, United States
loves: you win if you guessed "pets" and "museums". Also books, art history, travel, British punk, Korean kimchi, bindis, martinis, and other things TBD. I will always make it very clear if a post is sponsored in any way. Drop me a line at thepetmuseum AT gmail.com !

Tuesday, June 24, 2014

a rabbit leaps into its own world

thanks wikipaintings.org. image in public domain
Amadeo de Souza Cardoso painted "The Leap of the Rabbit" in 1911.  Cardoso only had seven more years to live (he would die at age 30 in the influenza pandemic of 1918), but he was already on his way to becoming one of the most bold, inventive figures in Portuguese art.  In reading about him I learn that a number of art movements of his time can be seen in his work; I can surely see a vivid expressionism here, and even the beginnings of Cubism (look how hard edged and stylized those forms are).

No comments: