About Me

My photo
Washington, United States
loves: you win if you guessed "pets" and "museums". Also books, art history, travel, British punk, Korean kimchi, bindis, martinis, and other things TBD. I will always make it very clear if a post is sponsored in any way. Drop me a line at thepetmuseum AT gmail.com !

Sunday, July 27, 2014

two spoons with character

the metropolitan museum of art : gift of helen miller gould, 1910
www.metmuseum.org










Two cosmetic spoons, a tubby mouse and a relaxed dog, were fashioned of bone by a skillful hand in Egypt around 1150-1295 BC. These are tiny things: the dog spoon is only 3 13/16 inches long and a quarter inch thick, yet full of presence.  I marvel at how the linear and formula-driven art of Egypt frequently created such personable works. Once upon a time these little fellows held colored pastes for eyeliners or lip colors.  What fun it would be to have compacts that looked like these!

1 comment:

parlance said...

Oh, how gorgeous! I wonder if some clever entrepreneur might make modern copies. I would certainly buy one!