About Me

My photo
Washington, United States
loves: you win if you guessed "pets" and "museums". Also books, art history, travel, British punk, Korean kimchi, bindis, martinis, and other things TBD. I will always make it very clear if a post is sponsored in any way. Drop me a line at thepetmuseum AT gmail.com !

Tuesday, August 05, 2014

marginal puppy transport

courtesy discardingimages.tumblr.com. Pontifical of Guillaume Durand, Avignon, before 1390.
Paris, Bibliothèque Sainte-Geneviève, ms. 143, fol. 174r


















See, everybody loves baskets of puppies, even huge walking rabbit-men.
I wonder all the time what purpose was served by the odd, charming marginalia in manuscripts. Turns out I wasn't the only one wondering - but even the British Library hasn't got an answer, as you'll see in this readable and well-illustrated article.




No comments: