About Me

My photo
Washington, United States
loves: you win if you guessed "pets" and "museums". Also books, art history, travel, British punk, Korean kimchi, bindis, martinis, and other things TBD. I will always make it very clear if a post is sponsored in any way. Drop me a line at thepetmuseum AT gmail.com !

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

naps: good even millenia ago

Figure of a Reclining Dog, ca. 1938-1700 B.C.E. Faience, glazed, 13/16 x 1 15/16 x 1 1/2 in. (2 x 4.9 x 3.8 cm).
Brooklyn Museum, Museum Collection Fund, 14.659. Creative Commons-BY
This little guy is about 4000 years old.  He's a simple portrait of a dog; not a fancy dog, but that doesn't matter.  He's here to be your eternal sidekick, another of the figures the Egyptians placed in tombs to take on their role in the great beyond.  (There are some other photos of him here.  By the way, if you like Egyptian art and are ever in Brooklyn, run, don't walk to the Brooklyn Museum. Yes, I had that flipped until I edited it.  My bad. - curator)  Curious as to what Egyptian dogs were named?  The Brooklyn link has a few names, and in this 2012 post I have a few more.

No comments: