About Me

My photo
Washington, United States
loves: you win if you guessed "pets" and "museums". Also books, art history, travel, British punk, Korean kimchi, bindis, martinis, and other things TBD. I will always make it very clear if a post is sponsored in any way. Drop me a line at thepetmuseum AT gmail.com !

Tuesday, July 07, 2015

three small dogs

Jacob Matham, Three Small Dogs1571-1631, Statens Museum for Kunst, www.smk.dk.
Wow - these are some wild looking little canines, courtesy of the Dutch engraving master Jacob Matham (1571-1631).  Matham was producing during a time when Mannerism was stylistically popular.  Though he created a number of more ordinary-looking animal and dog portraits, this threefer looks like Matham let himself go out on a limb.  I can't make up my mind which dog intrigues me most.  Is it the one on the left, looking like a tiny version of the god Pan?  Is it the beagle (?) on the right with his truncated snout?  No, it has to be that guy in the middle, all pumped up and giving me the hairy eyeball.

No comments: