About Me

My photo
Washington, United States
loves: you win if you guessed "pets" and "museums". Also books, art history, travel, British punk, Korean kimchi, bindis, martinis, and other things TBD. I will always make it very clear if a post is sponsored in any way. Drop me a line at thepetmuseum AT gmail.com !

Tuesday, August 18, 2015

"lines to a picture of a lady and a dog," 1917

Here's a deliciously silly nugget I found while researching sources for the next Pet Museum book (working title "Vile Vintage Varmints," because it's a book of bad, bad poetry). . .

LINES TO A PICTURE OF A LADY AND A DOG
HER parted lips recall the budding rose;
Her shapely shoulders shame the lily.
The subtle charm of Daphne marks her pose;
Her hair? I fear the color's silly.
'Twould take a canto just to catalogue
The graces of her figure slender.
I quite forgot a couplet to the dog-
But, really, I don't know its gender.


Switzer, M. (1917). Satire and song: simple lays and careless rhymes of olden days and modern times. New York: Brunswick Subscription Co. Page 21.

No comments: