About Me

My photo
Washington, United States
loves: you win if you guessed "pets" and "museums". Also books, art history, travel, British punk, Korean kimchi, bindis, martinis, and other things TBD. I will always make it very clear if a post is sponsored in any way. Drop me a line at thepetmuseum AT gmail.com !

Friday, November 13, 2015

little dog big pillow

thanks discardingimages. (PD), Guillelmus Fichetus, Rhetorica, Paris 1471,
Cologny, Fondation Martin Bodmer, Cod. Bodmer 176, f. 1r

The "Rhetorica" of Guillelmus Fichetus recorded ten years' worth of that scholar's teaching.  The white pup above is a detail of the book's introductory illustration, in which Fichetus is presenting his manuscript to Princess Yolanda of Savoy.  (This page tells you that and a bit more.) Want to see the whole page of this illustration?  This should take you there.

2 comments:

parlance said...

Lovely manuscript page. It still amazes me to be able to look at things like this on the internet. When I was a child, it would have been an impossible dream.

curator said...

I would love to see the occasional modern book produced like this too. I mean, I'm sure somewhere they are, but in such rarefied places I wouldn't get to see them.