About Me

My photo
Washington, United States
loves: you win if you guessed "pets" and "museums". Also books, art history, travel, British punk, Korean kimchi, bindis, martinis, and other things TBD. I will always make it very clear if a post is sponsored in any way. Drop me a line at thepetmuseum AT gmail.com !

Saturday, January 02, 2016

a sizable friend

Elisabeth Modell [PD: US], via Wikimedia Commons
Elisabeth Modell (often referred to as Elise Modell; Austrian, 1820-65) ought to be better known, if this work is any indication.  Here is her "Portrait of Baroness Trent-Turcati with Dog," 1856.  I can't seem to find any reference to a Baroness Trent-Turcati, other than a Virginie Alberti von Poja, born in May 1822, who in September 1846 married Simon, Baron de Trent Turcati, retired advisor to the Austrian regency.  This isn't a 34-year-old woman.  Who is she?  I spent way too much time on that question when what attracted me was the juxtaposition of the massive dog with this slight girl, who sit together with trust and peace.  The dog's coat contains the same warm browns and russets as the landscape, as if he was its embodiment.

No comments: