About Me

My photo
Washington, United States
loves: you win if you guessed "pets" and "museums". Also books, art history, travel, British punk, Korean kimchi, bindis, martinis, and other things TBD. I will always make it very clear if a post is sponsored in any way. Drop me a line at thepetmuseum AT gmail.com !

Sunday, October 09, 2016

more memoriams from miss valle

In the spirit of, I suppose, spirits (Halloween does approach swiftly after all), here's more memorial poems from Isabel Valle.
She meant well.
***
MARY
A Lamb
Mary was a lovely lamb
Until she grew big horns
And turned into a rowdy ram,—
Her mistress for her mourns!

JACQUELINE
A Pig
If only sweet pig babies
Need not grow up at all!
Oh, butcher mills grind swiftly
And they grind exceeding small!
     (!!?! - curator)

DUGO
A Bullterrier
I have given my heart to this dog to tear*
And he will not let it go!
He has taken it off to the Land of Where
Past the Desert Whither Ho!

A CRICKET
Thou quaint musician,
At the roots of things,
Ended thy mission,
Broken thy strings.
     (okay, this one isn't all that bad - curator)
*I think Kipling used this first...and better
Valle, I. (1916). Epitaphs of some dear dumb beasts. Boston [Mass.]: The Gorham Press. 20-21, 24, 40

No comments: