About Me

My photo
Washington, United States
loves: you win if you guessed "pets" and "museums". Also books, art history, travel, British punk, Korean kimchi, bindis, martinis, and other things TBD. I will always make it very clear if a post is sponsored in any way. Drop me a line at thepetmuseum AT gmail.com !

Tuesday, October 11, 2016

niko pirosmani, rabbit

thanks wikiart.org. (PD)
This morning I was sleepily perusing WikiArt.org when this popped up on my screen - a powerful, immediate capture of a running rabbit, eyes wide with a need to escape.  Into the dark, or away?  Which is safer?  I wish I could ask the artist - but Niko Pirosmani, (Russian) Georgia's best-known painter, died in 1918, and only thereafter was discovered.  A primitive (self-taught, that is) artist, he portrayed the everyday world around him, high and low, and was noted for his animals.  Those last are truly fascinating: delineated with clarity, richly colored, and though sympathetically portrayed, there's no doubt which are the hunters.  Look at this bear family, for example.

No comments: