About Me

My photo
Washington, United States
loves: you win if you guessed "pets" and "museums". Also books, art history, travel, British punk, Korean kimchi, bindis, martinis, and other things TBD. I will always make it very clear if a post is sponsored in any way. Drop me a line at thepetmuseum AT gmail.com !

Monday, November 28, 2016

fancy

the metropolitan museum of art.The Elisha Whittelsey Collection, The Elisha Whittelsey Fund, 1951 
Here's a poodle sporting what I can only imagine is the fashionable dog hairdo of the mid-1600's.  This engraving was created by Wenceslaus Hollar (1607-77) after a work done by the Dutch painter Adriaen Matham.  (Matham was a major figure in Dutch-Moroccan relations; I throw that in for the random pleasure of the finding.)  Over at poodlehistory.org there is a page chock full of details on poodle hair throughout history - have a look.

No comments: