About Me

My photo
Washington, United States
loves: you win if you guessed "pets" and "museums". Also books, art history, travel, British punk, Korean kimchi, bindis, martinis, and other things TBD. I will always make it very clear if a post is sponsored in any way. Drop me a line at thepetmuseum AT gmail.com !

Monday, November 20, 2017

a dog kennel, c 1440


Unknown
A Hunter Attending to Kenneled Dogs, about 1430 - 1440,
Tempera colors, gold paint, silver paint, and gold leaf on parchment

Leaf: 26.4 × 18.4 cm (10 3/8 × 7 1/4 in.)
The J. Paul Getty Museum, Los Angeles
This is an illustration from a manuscript of Livre de la Chasse (Book of the Hunt) created in Brittany circa 1430-1440.  The original "Book of the Hunt" was written in the late 1380's by Gaston III, Count of Foix, reckoned to be one of the greatest huntsmen of his day.  This page shows a hunter attending to kenneled dogs.  I have not found a translation of it, but I do know that the Livre de la Chasse was translated into English by Edward of Norwich, the 2nd Duke of York.  He titled his translation The Master of Game, and tomorrow I'll show you a short passage from it about dog kennels.

No comments: