About Me

My photo
Washington, United States
loves: you win if you guessed "pets" and "museums". Also books, art history, travel, British punk, Korean kimchi, bindis, martinis, and other things TBD. I will always make it very clear if a post is sponsored in any way. Drop me a line at thepetmuseum AT gmail.com !

Saturday, December 23, 2017

awaken like a hedgehog

Rogers Fund and Edward S. Harkness Gift, 1920. https://www.metmuseum.org
Here's a tiny glazed soapstone hedgehog scaraboid (roughly beetle-shaped amulet) from Egypt ca. 1981–1295 B.C.  Right about now I wouldn't mind a hedgehog amulet:  because they hibernated, and survived the desert terrain, the Egyptians took them for symbols of resurrection.  That is something I particularly like in these days just past the winter solstice, as we navigate the cold and the dark and look for the days to lengthen oh just a little.  Here's another hedgie from the Met, this one on a string.

No comments: