About Me

My photo
Washington, United States
loves: you win if you guessed "pets" and "museums". Also books, art history, travel, British punk, Korean kimchi, bindis, martinis, and other things TBD. I will always make it very clear if a post is sponsored in any way. Drop me a line at thepetmuseum AT gmail.com !

Monday, February 12, 2018

a keeshond says, "i bide my time"

http://hdl.handle.net/10934/RM0001.COLLECT.503183  www.rijksmuseum.nl
At least I'm pretty sure that's what the slogan in this Dutch emblem says.  What would a Keeshond be plotting that his time needs biding?  As it happens, this emblem, dating from 1787, falls during a time in Dutch history when a political faction calling themselves the "Patriots" were actively opposing the rule of William V, Prince of Orange.  The Keeshond dog became the symbol of the Patriot party, while the Orange party was associated with pugs.  In 1787 the Prussians defeated the Patriot faction and many went into exile; this must be why "I bide my time."  Here's a bit more on that from the Rijksmuseum

No comments: