About Me

My photo
Washington, United States
loves: you win if you guessed "pets" and "museums". Also books, art history, travel, British punk, Korean kimchi, bindis, martinis, and other things TBD. I will always make it very clear if a post is sponsored in any way. Drop me a line at thepetmuseum AT gmail.com !

Saturday, April 28, 2018

"a dog that stinks, come on, come on"

thanks british library flickr (PD)
A little while ago I had a great deal of fun translating some cat proverbs from a huge Italian collection.  Today I'm going back in for wise words on dogs. Remember, I'm doing this with Google Translate, so correct me where you will.

Ogni tristo cane abbaia da casa sua -- Every sad dog barks from his house
A cane che puzza, dagli, dagli -- A dog that stinks, come on, come on (Idiom, and I have no clue -- curator)
Canini, gattini e figli di contadini, son belli quando son piccini -- Puppies, kittens and children of peasants are beautiful when they are little ones
A cani magri, mosche ingorde -- Lean dogs attract greedy flies
Porta rispetto al cane  per amor del padrone - Respect the dog for the sake of its master
Un cane arrabbiato corre soltanto nove giorni -- An angry dog runs only nine days
(BUT:) Niun cane arrabbiato corre sett'anni - An angry dog runs seven years  (I wonder which? - curator)
Al cane fu data la coda perche scodinzoli -- The dog was given its tail to wag it

- Strafforello, Gustavo, 1820-1903. La Sapienza Del Mondo: Ovvero, Dizionario Universale Dei Proverbi Di Tutti I Popoli, Raccolti, Tradotti, Comparati, E Commentati Da Gustavo Strafforello, Con L'aggiunta Di Aneddoti, Racconti, Fatterelli, E Di Illustrazioni Storiche, Morali, Scientifiche, Filologiche, Ecc. Torino: A. F. Negro, 1883. vol. 1. 229-33.

No comments: