About Me

My photo
Washington, United States
loves: you win if you guessed "pets" and "museums". Also books, art history, travel, British punk, Korean kimchi, bindis, martinis, and other things TBD. I will always make it very clear if a post is sponsored in any way. Drop me a line at thepetmuseum AT gmail.com !

Wednesday, February 20, 2019

string!


Gift of Edgar William and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch, www.nga.gov (PD)
This delicate portrait by Joseph Goodhue Chandler (American, 1813-84) dates from c. 1836-38.  He had only just embarked on his painting career, and most of his early work is of family members.  Perhaps this brown-eyed "Girl With a Kitten" is one of these relations.  It's interesting to me how well modeled her face is compared to the flattened treatment of her dress and her pose; I also note the fine spray of greenery outside the window, which to me reflects all the tender growing this young lady has ahead.  As sweet as she looks, she's got a fierce companion:



Would you look at that face?  What a mighty hunter.  

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I initially commented I clicked the "Notify me when new comments are added" checkbox and
now each time a comment is added I get several
e-mails with the same comment. Is there any way you can remove people from
that service? Bless you!

curator said...

Dear Anonymous, I don't seem to be able to remove people from comment notification. The best I can do right now is to lock anyone's ability to comment. I hope that helps. Pretty much all I ever get are spam comments, but I will miss the sincere ones. With best wishes - your friendly curator