Pages

▼

Saturday, June 11, 2016

chauncey gardner, a goat of note

i took this.  lafayette cemetery #1.
I'm still full of joyful thoughts about my New Orleans trip.  Clearly a few days doesn't even begin to scratch the surface of everything you can experience in one of the world's great cities. so I went looking for stories to help me understand what I missed.  The Big Easy did not disappoint.
Let me point you to the story of Chauncey Gardner, the goat that showed up in music videos, as a festival mascot, and not least as the inspiration behind an urban brush-removal company.
Chauncey passed on in February 2015 at the age of 11.  His obituary points out that he was a solid presence in the arts and culture of New Orleans; during the days after Hurricane Katrina, the Village Voice shared his adventures - he'd left the area riding shotgun in his people's car.  Then, as the city started taking itself back, Chauncey was the inspiration for a weed-eating team of unusual landscapers: Y'Herd Me Property Maintenance.  Excellent story about that is here.
A one-of-a-kind town needs a one-of-a-kind hero.  I can't wait to go back to NOLA.

2 comments:

  1. What an interesting and sociable goat.

    RIP Chauncey Gardner, you are very missed.

    I love the way animals work their magic in our myriad of global cultures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Everycat - Yes, isn't this a great story? It encapsulated the feeling I got from New Orleans: doing your thing the way you want to do your thing, and being welcomed for it - whether you are a goatherder, or a goat.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.