About Me

My photo
Washington, United States
loves: you win if you guessed "pets" and "museums". Also books, art history, travel, British punk, Korean kimchi, bindis, martinis, and other things TBD. I will always make it very clear if a post is sponsored in any way. Drop me a line at thepetmuseum AT gmail.com !

Thursday, October 26, 2006

How many dog breeds are there?

Good question. I betook myself to the American Kennel Club's website to find an exact number.

I didn't find that, but I did find a long and expanding list of Recognized Breeds, Miscellaneous Class Breeds, and Foundation Stock Service Breeds. Those last two are, respectively, "breeds in waiting" for AKC official breed status, and an official recordkeeping arrangement for rare breeds not at present formally recognized.

For example, as of today the Redbone Coonhound is a Miscellaneous Class Breed. I'm surprised at that: one of the best dogs my family ever had was a Redbone Coonhound. Note that its temperament is "a good family dog" and "likes to please". Absolutely. (RIP, Moon.)

As for a Foundation Stock Service Breed, hold on to your hat: did you know the Russell Terrier is in this list? Yes, Eddie the dog on "Frazier".

Personally I'm a big fan of mutts (remember to spay and neuter, everybody). But the dog that kicks around the Pet Museum office is a Brittany.

2 comments:

Jill Arnel said...

Heaven help us if they add the new "designer hybrids" that are the current rage and cash crop du jour: Labradoodles, Goldendoodles, and Puggles-- why anyone would want to combine a scent hound with a brachiocephalic companion dog that snores is beyond me. Beagles have a gazillion scenting cells and Pugs have few. Enough on that tangent!

The name "Jack Russell Terrier" is a thing of the AKC past. Now they're Parson Russell Terriers, lest they get confused with the shorter legged
(or so-called "puddin'" variety).

I just can't keep up! I'm just grateful that my chosen breed, Cairn terrier will never make it to the most popular breed list.

Nice blog, Andree-- didn't know it even existed! Jill

Jill Arnel said...

P.S. I could use a Black Russian just about now. . .