About Me

My photo
Washington, United States
loves: you win if you guessed "pets" and "museums". Also books, art history, travel, British punk, Korean kimchi, bindis, martinis, and other things TBD. I will always make it very clear if a post is sponsored in any way. Drop me a line at thepetmuseum AT gmail.com !

Tuesday, November 03, 2009

the dainty dog: from 1902

A DAINTY dog had chanced to note
The breakfast of a greedy goat,—
Half-rotten grass, a shocking pile.
" Fie!" said the dog; " what wretched style!
Good taste demands, you clownish beast,
A dish to eat from, at the least.
And as for food, that garbage foul
Would even make a camel scowl,
Would make a very buzzard groan,
Would " Here the goat laid bare a bone,
Which when our dainty dog had spied,
"Your pardon, friend!" the critic cried;
"I'm quite near-sighted, neighbor mine.
I see your meal is fair and fine.
Invite me, pray, with you to dine!"

-- from Amos R. Wells (illustrated by L.J. Bridgman), Rollicking Rhymes for Youngsters (New York: Fleming H. Revell Company, 1902) .

There's one thing wrong with this poem -- I haven't met the dog yet that wouldn't wholeheartedly roll in garbage instead of standing around criticizing it.

No comments: