About Me

My photo
Washington, United States
loves: you win if you guessed "pets" and "museums". Also books, art history, travel, British punk, Korean kimchi, bindis, martinis, and other things TBD. I will always make it very clear if a post is sponsored in any way. Drop me a line at thepetmuseum AT gmail.com !

Friday, October 09, 2015

two blue bunnies

image copyright and by kindest permission of the artist, ande hall
I do enjoy a lovely pastel work.  Mix in a couple of fat bunnies and my favorite complementary colors of orange and blue, and - well, you've made my Friday.  Kansas artist Ande Hall has a feel for pastels that mixes bright, delightful color with excellent form and control.  The results are not only rich in pigment and feel, but fun, as you can see when you skim through her gallery.  (Did you see the scarlet tanager, or the warbler on the nest, or any of those excellent chickens?)  This particular work grabbed me because the treatment of the lines mixed with that deep color reminded me of what I liked best about Fauvism (Matisse, for example).
Hall was a full-time veterinarian for 25 years, and still keeps her hand in part-time.   She also continues to serve animals through her Etsy shop - where 5% of her proceeds are donated to IUCN (International Union for Conservation of Nature- the world's oldest and largest wildlife conservation organization).

No comments: