About Me

My photo
Washington, United States
loves: you win if you guessed "pets" and "museums". Also books, art history, travel, British punk, Korean kimchi, bindis, martinis, and other things TBD. I will always make it very clear if a post is sponsored in any way. Drop me a line at thepetmuseum AT gmail.com !

Thursday, October 08, 2015

for national poetry day (uk) - my favorite pet poem

a rerun. caspar von reth, Hundeportrat, 1893. PD
At last deep in the stairwell I hear a tread,
it is him, my leader, my love.
I run to the door and listen to his approach.

Today is National Poetry Day in the United Kingdom, and I'm happy to jump on the bandwagon by revisiting my favorite pet poem (so far).  By happy accident, it's by Thom Gunn, the Anglo-American poet.  "Yoko," written from his dog's viewpoint, surrenders us to an immediate, wholehearted world revolving round good smells and the beloved human.  I have to send you elsewhere to read it whole, but please do.   It's here - 
Yoko

A postscript - Over at The Guardian you can see all kinds of people reading all kinds of poems, many for their pets.  Go here to enjoy.

No comments: